In the last few years Dave Eggers has been turning over novels quicker than most bands turn over albums. In 2012 he released [title shall temporarily remain nameless for the purposes of the quiz below] about an American businessman's adventures in the Middle East, followed by [again, nameless] in 2013, a terrifying look at where tech culture might be leading us. Earlier this month it was announced that in June he will release his third novel in as many years, and yes, we'll hold off on divulging that title, as well.
Eggers has been known to be rather emotional in his writing, but even moreso in his choice of book titles. The same could probaly be said for plenty of other fiction writers, but the distinction seems especially appropriate for Eggers' bleeding heart. Below are 15 titles. Some are the names of emo bands, some are on the front of Eggers' books. If you're overly familiar with Eggers, this might not be too difficult for you, but if you're a neophyte to the McSweeney's founder's writing, you might have a tough time with this.
1. Our Sunday Affairs
2. A Heartbreaking Work Of Staggering Genius
3. The Saddest Landscape
4. Caulfield Kids
5. A Hologram For The King
6. Science Is Made Up Of Mistakes
7. Atlas At Last
8. Your Fathers, Where Are They? And the Prophets, Do They Live Forever?
9. The Circle
10. You Shall Know Our Velocity
11. The State The Sea Left Me In
12. How the Water Feels to the Fishes
13. The World Is A Beautiful Place And I Am No Longer Afraid To Die
14. Empire! Empire! (I Was a Lonely Estate)
As you consider your answers, take a moment to get emotional to Dashboard Confessional's MTV Unplugged performance of “Screaming Infedelities” …or at least try to. Answers on the other side.
1. Emo 2. Eggers 3. Emo 4. Emo 5. Eggers 6. Emo 7. Emo 8. Eggers 9. Eggers 10. Eggers 11. Emo 12. Eggers 13. Emo 14. Emo 15. Eggers