The hot lit meme yesterday was #JaneAusteAtTheSuperBowl started by singer-songwriter Rosanne Cash on her Twitter feed. Of course that tag is now corrupt with people saying “Read #JaneAustenAtTheSuperBowl” which is one of the perils of Twitter I guess. Twitter needs a better filter feed. Anyway, some nice Austenites at AustenProse kept up a handy list from @
- Regarding the Legume Chorale, it grieves me to note that the spectacle exceeds the musicality.
- Some ladies are determined to sport bonnets made of cheese. I must take to my bed.
- The manly vigor is indeed impressive, but I don’t have the pleasure of understanding the purpose.
- One hopes the unfortunate incident involving the lady’s corset is not repeated on this occasion.
- The gentleman in the stripes? A known blackguard! I send no compliments to his mother.
- There is a uniformity of ill-favor in the appearance of the spectators. Who are their families? Tradesmen, surely.
- Word arrives that there will be a longish pause midway through the event. One hopes to be excessively diverted.
- Such lust for possession of an inanimate object so entirely lacking in aesthetic merit does not bode well.
- Are they to be murdered on the field?! Such an ill-advised display of manhood is indeed alarming.
- The proscribed repast is an abomination! Could we not conceive of a tea more pleasing and refined?
This one from John Wesley Harding (@WesleyStace) is also pretty good:
“A cheese bonnet!” exclaimed Mrs Bennett unexpectedly. “I have always wanted a splendid cheese bonnet!”
Not sure if these are more entertaining than a piece of fan fic about what Brett Favre was up to last night…